Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I AM NOT A HOMOPHOBE

George Weinberg, a psychologist, is credited to being the person to "coin" the term "homophobia" in the 1960s. Weinberg's term became an important tool for gay and lesbian activists, advocates, and their allies. He describes the concept as a medical phobia. "It was a fear of homosexuals which seemed to be associated with a fear of contagion, a fear of reducing the things one fought for - home and family. It was a religious fear and it had led to great brutality as fear always does."
 
God created the heavens, earth, man and his Holy word over two thousand years ago. Still, there are those who have managed to justify abandoning God's instruction to socially accept the teachings of a term created by Mr. Weinberg only 54 years ago.
Let's just get to the point...
FIRST
Christians have been labeled as homophobes because of our effectual belief in God's word. The bible clearly says homosexuality is a sin. I'm not coming from the Book of Bridgett. I am coming from the word of God. As a matter of fact, God calls homosexuality an abomination. I've included a list of scriptures for you to read if you disagree.
  1. Genesis 19:1-11
  2. Leviticus 18:22
  3. Leviticus 20:13
  4. Judges 19:16-24
  5. 1 Kings 14:24
  6. 1 Kings 15:12
  7. 2 Kings 23:7
  8. Romans 1:18-32
  9. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
  10. 1 Timothy 1:8-10
  11. Jude 1: 7
You can’t deny it. It’s in the book. The bible was written thousands of years ago. It’s a done deal. There is no changing it or going back. Once God says it; it is so.
 
SECOND
Just because we don't support homosexuality, doesn't mean we are afraid of it. This is our faith. Not our fear. There is a grand difference between the two. After all, God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, and of love and of sound mind. (II Timothy 1:7) Despite Mr. Weinberg's biased mass prognosis, there is NO medical phobia plaguing the body of Christ; simply put, its ministry. Yes, I will admit, there are some religious organizations who do not exhibit the love of God when speaking against homosexuality.
 However, they do not account for those of us who loves the sinner and not the sin. Just because we may not agree with how a person should live does not mean we should treat them differently. While my bible teaches against homosexuality, it also teaches us to love. God tells us in Jeremiah 31:3, by love and kindness have I drawn thee.
 
There comes a time when two people should agree to disagree. In my conversations with people who are either gay or supporters of gay rights, I tell them "I won't ever mistreat you. I will always love you and whenever you need me, I'm here. But my Christian beliefs prohibit me from supporting a lifestyle that my bible tells me will hinder your walk with God."
 
AND FINALLY
My bible teaches free will. You have the option to accept or reject God's word. I have no right to forcefully impose my beliefs upon anyone. I do, however, have the right to vote and/or voice my convictions when necessary.
 
I find ironic...Christians have been labeled as homophobes simply for standing on the very thing this country was founded upon...the word of God.
B signature white bkgrd
PS
I would be remiss if I did not say this: gay is NOT the new black. Gay people were not ripped from their homelands and imprisoned in slavery for over two hundred years. They weren’t torn from their families. They didn’t spend months at sea bound in chains, lying in their own vomit next to rotting corpses. They weren’t raped, beaten, lynched, tarred, feathers, hung and castrated. They didn’t wake up to burning crosses and men in white sheets. They weren’t denied the right to vote, use certain restrooms or forced to go to segregated schools. Their history does not include the senseless assassinations of civil rights leaders and underground activists. There is NO comparison between the two.
 
 
Said in love. Never in hate.
Sources: King James Bible, Wikipedia, Merriam Webster

No comments:

Post a Comment